- Practice Commenced: 2017
- Total Mediations (as of Oct 2021): 600
Steven Jaffe has litigated a wide variety of civil matters, from both the defense and plaintiff sides, throughout Florida and nationwide since 1984. He has mediated more than 600 cases, and his passion for the dispute resolution process continues to grow. His practice areas include personal injury, class action, medical malpractice, breach of contract, consumer fraud, long-term care insurance and complex commercial cases.
Steven started his practice in the criminal arena, trying more than 20 cases to verdict over two years in the state attorney’s office. He then transitioned to civil litigation as house counsel for Liberty Mutual Insurance Company, representing the interests of insurance companies. Steven then began representing individual and corporate plaintiffs in numerous types of civil actions. He has handled class actions for the past 17 years in various courts throughout the country.
He comes to Upchurch Watson White & Max after serving as a partner at several well-known civil trial firms; fellow partners have included a Florida Bar president and, most recently, a Florida Justice Association president and a sitting Florida state senator.
Steven’s extensive litigation practice, coupled with his philanthropic work and involvement in more than a dozen professional, charitable and civic organizations, has provided him a unique ability to understand people and to understand every side of a civil case. With exceptional speed, Steven comprehends complex issues and provides practical and unique solutions necessary for the mediation process. He looks forward to using his ability to resolve conflicts and bring people together in often difficult circumstances as a full-time mediator with UWWM.
- Business Dissolution
- Civil Rights
- Class Actions
- Community Associations
- Consumer Fraud
- Elder Abuse
- Legal Malpractice
- Libel & Slander
- Medical Devices
- Medical Malpractice
- Nursing Homes
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Professional Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Professional Negligence
- Property Damage
- Sexual Harassment
- Wrongful Death
B.S. (criminology), Florida State University (1980)
J.D., Samford University, Cumberland School of Law (1983)
Certified Florida Supreme Court Civil Circuit Court Mediator
Memberships & Affiliations
- The Florida Bar
- The Colorado Bar
- U.S. District Court, Southern and Middle Districts of Florida; Northern District Court of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth and Eleventh Circuit.
Memberships & Community Involvement:
- Legal Aid Services of Broward County, Inc. – board of directors (2013-2019), chairman (2018); 2017 Commitment Award – for ensuring the low-income population in Broward County has access to legal representation
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America: Florida Board of Trustees, 2008-2016; America’s Volunteer of the Year, 2011; America’s Hope Award, 2013
- Founder of Turkey Give Away, Inc.; 501c3 provided Turkeys and side dishes for Thanksgiving to over 20,000 needy people since 2010
- Broward County Women Lawyers Association 2016 Foxy Award for lifetime mentorship of women lawyers
Please call Heidi Cohen at 954-423-8856.